Is there anything better than a man who can cook? Not really… unless he does the dishes too (check and check). When Kyle and I first started dating, he definitely impressed me with his cooking skills. He never claimed to be a good cook, but everything he made was (and is still) amazing. For some reason, last week I started craving one of the very first meals he made for me – chicken stir-fry with a little twist.
This meal is pretty easy, is great as left-overs for the week, and can be tailored to your preferences. I love veggies, so I’ve loaded it up with lots of variety – you can use what you like, but the real key to the dish is the pineapple. Yup, pineapple. It might seem odd, but it really makes the meal complete. Get chopping!
- red & orange peppers
- red onion
- bok choy
- pineapple (fresh)
- low sodium soya sauce
- honey (about 1/2 TBSP – if desired, it’s not really needed)
- hot sauce (if desired – I used Frank’s hot siracha)
- Protein (if desired) – I used chopped chicken breast
- Chop veggies & pineapple and heat a large pan or wok.
- Spray your pan with oil to prevent sticking, cook meat if using it. Add veggies once the meat is almost cooked through.
- Add desired quantities of sauces and chopped pineapple. Coat everything well with the sauce.
- Simmer until veggies are cooked to your desired texture.
- Serve over brown rice, on salad, or as it is.
Other than cooking, this weekend was pretty low-key but productive. Kyle’s been slowly working away on our bedroom renovations, so he finished up the feature wall he’s made. We’ve found some flooring we like, we just need to buy it and find a day to install it. Then, we can put the baseboard trim on, switch our light fixture and it’ll be done! Looking forward to checking that room off the “to-do” list.
Somehow, it’s already the holiday season (even though it’s really too early). Our staff holiday party for the gym was on Saturday night, so we got dressed up and had a great meal at one of our favorite restaurants. This party is held at the same restaurant we got married at, making it an even better date night for us. If you live in Windsor and haven’t been to The City Grill yet – you need to go. It’s beautiful and the food is incredible.
Hope you all had a great weekend!