Thursday! The week is winding down! That calls for a great dessert… which also happens to be pretty darn healthy – bonus! If you like lemons and cake, this might become a staple recipe for you. I know I can’t wait to make it again.
I made this a couple weeks ago… and have been holding out the recipe on you. Not on purpose, simply from a lack of time / remembering / energy perspective. Anyhow, I went on a pumpkin baking binge (obviously, because the only size can you’re able to buy is monster-sized) and then I started to crave lemon. So, I went and bought some lemon extract and one of those classic Real Lemon Juice bottles.
I also wanted to continue my experiment with flour sources because I was looking for more of a cake-like texture, which the coconut flour wasn’t giving me – it stays pretty dense. A little recipe hunting and reading gave me some ideas to try and this first attempt was pretty much dead-on what I was looking for! Been as this was my first attempt, the measurements of some of the extracts may not be perfect – I just kept tasting the batter and adding more lemon until I was happy with it – so please do the same! The Greek yogurt keeps the batter moist and helps with some protein content, but it also kicks in a tart flavour which did NOT go well with lemon. So, you’ve gotta cover that up!
Additional notes – I used MetRX protein powder this time because I had a sample (and had run out of my usual vanilla protein) – it worked well and the powder smelled amazing. I’m going to look into buying it just for shakes down the road. This recipe would be great with other fruit added to it (raspberries or blueberries specifically) but I was strictly craving lemon so stuck to one flavor.
The macro count is a guideline, as it depends on the products you use and how many pieces you cut your cake into for a serving size. I cut my dish into about 20 small squares.
Macros per serving – 3g Carbs, 0g Fat, 3g Pro, 1g Sugar
Happy healthy baking!!! XOXO
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 scoop MetRX vanilla protein powder
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used non-fat plain)
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp Stevia brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp lemon extract
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Real Lemon (approximate measure)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking dish with oil to prevent sticking (I used a square Pyrex dish)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients together with dry. Mix well to remove all clumps.
- TASTE the batter and make sure you have a desired lemon taste. Add more juice or extract as desired to cover yogurt flavor.
- Pour batter into baking dish and put in oven. Bake for 17 – 25 minutes. Will continue to firm slightly when cooling.
- I cut this into a lot of little square pieces.
- Have fun serving it with different toppings – jello cheesecake pudding, yogurt / protein mixture, peanut butter, jam… nutella for you chocolate people. But, they’re also great just plain 🙂