The week is winding down, so we should celebrate with some fun food! Credit for the first meal has to go to Kyle – he’s been eating this for awhile and I was very skeptical of it. But, he made it for me the other night and it’s just amazing! Now I’m hooked on it and want it each night. It’s packed with protein and tastes like dessert without any unhealthy ingredients – can’t complain about that.
Egg White Dessert
For my serving size, the ingredients were:
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- Protein powder (optional)
- Zero calorie syrup (optional – we use Walden Farms)
- Cook egg whites in a pan, sprinkled with cinnamon while cooking
- Break them down and put them in a bowl, adding cottage cheese throughout
- Mix in protein powder if desired (we use a huge variety of flavors and everything has been good – especially Cinnamon Swirl by Cellucor or Peanut Butter Cookie Dough by Gaspari)
- Add syrup
Sweet Potato Oat Muffins
We had a free evening on Wednesday, and I started to think of these at work, so I made them as soon as we got home. They’re pretty dense and stay fairly mushy, but they’re incredible and will likely become a staple “treat” in our house. This recipe made 12 regular sized muffins.
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 large ripe, mashed banana
- 1/2 cup flour (I used coconut)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional – if not using it, increase flour to a full cup)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla as desired
- Low sugar syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Blend the banana, sweet potato, milk, and egg whites in large bowl
- Add dry ingredients to wet mix (flour, protein powder, oats, sugar, soda, spices)
- Drizzle syrup into batter if you want added sweetness
- Scoop batter into greased muffin tin (or use paper liners)
- Sprinkle some dry oats on top to make them look fancy…. 😉
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes – or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Again, these are pretty dense and stay fairly mushy, even after cooling – don’t sweat it.
- Enjoy on their own, or with natural peanut butter drizzled on top, or with vanilla yogurt, etc… pretty much anything would be good with them! Just don’t eat all 12 at once.
Happy eating & enjoy the rest of your week! XOXO